Joanne Baird, MD
Learn More About Joanne Baird, MD
Dr. Baird is a Board-Certified and Fellowship trained orthopaedic surgeon specializing in sports medicine and women’s athletic wellness. A stellar college soccer player herself at the College of William and Mary, she was a scholar athlete and led her team to 4 NCAA appearances and 3 conference championships. She completed her fellowship at the renowned Andrew’s Institute caring for many of the country’s star collegiate and professional athletes. Dr. Baird’s award-winning orthopaedic practice includes a 12-year medical career in the US Navy, where LCDR Baird held leadership roles including General Medical Officer and Department Head during a two year deployment onboard an amphibious landing ship, the USS Germantown (LSD-42), as well as Chief of Orthopaedic Surgery at Naval Hospital Pensacola (NHP). Her military career included extensive training in combat care and extensive orthopaedic injuries. She has contributed frequently to research projects, books, and peer-reviewed publications and has presented on topics from overhead athletic shoulder injuries to fracture care, arthroscopy, hand injuries, and more.
College of William & Mary – Williamsburg, VA
Georgetown University School of Medicine, Washington, DC
Internship & Residency
Orthopaedic Surgery – Naval Medical Center, San Diego, CA
Orthopaedic Surgery Sports Medicine – The Andrews Institute, Gulf Breeze, FL
Military – United States Naval Service
- US Navy 2007-2019
- General Medical Officer and Department Head Health Services Department – USS Germantown (LSD-42) 2008-2010
- Department Head Orthopaedic Surgery – Naval Hospital Pensacola 2017-2019
- Naval Commendation Medal – Sustained Acts of Heroism or Meritorious Service (2010, 2019)
Athletic Team Associations/ Team Physician
- Team Physician – Elberta HS Warriors
- Tuskegee College
- Crestview HS, Crestview, FL
- Tampa Bay Rays (2020)
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery (ABOS)
- Fellow American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (FAAOS)
- American Orthoapedic Society for Sports Medicine (AOSSM)
- Arthroscopy Association of North America (AANA)
- Orthopaedic Trauma Association (OTA)
- Society of Military Orthopaedic Surgeons (SOMOS)
- Ruth Jackson Orthopaedic Society (RJOS)
- Alabama Orthopaedic Society (AOS)
- Credentials Committee South Baldwin Regional Medical Center (SBRMC)
- Surgical Committee Chair SBRMC
- OR Governance Committee SBRMC
- One of Top 100 Physicians in NW Florida (2018)
- Mobile Bay Magazine 40 Under 40 – Class of 2021. This honor recognizes those under the age of 40 demonstrating leadership, professional excellence, and a commitment to the community.
- Baird, Joanne PE; Anz, Adam; Andrews, James; Plummer, Hillary A. McGowan, Britt; Gonzalez, Melissa; and Jordan, Steve. Cellular Augmentation of Anterior Cruciate Ligament Surgery is Not Currently Evidence Based: A Systematic Review of Clinical Studies. Arthroscopy. 2022 Jun;38(6):2047-2061.
- Perry, A; Elston JP; Reynolds, H; Hawley, L; Kroonen, L: Uebelhoer, NS; Shumaker PR. Ablative fractional photothermolysis in the treatment of scar contractures of the wrists and forearms: A retrospective data analysis. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. 2014;71(4):841-842.
- Elston, JP; Pyo J; Deben SE. Reconstructive and Prosthetic Options for the Wounded Warrior. Current Orthopedic Practice. 2013;24(2):114-119.
- Anz, Adam; Baird, Joanne. Cole and Chahla: Surg Techs of the Shoulder, Elbow, and Knee in Sports Medicine. Chapter 107: Biologics and Injection Therapy for the Management of Osteoarthritis. (publication pending)
- Patel V; Patel A; Harrop J; Burger E (ed). Spine Surgery Basics: Chapter 9 Lumbosacral Instrumentation by Elston JP, Saldua N. Springer-Verlag, Berlin-Heidelberg, 2014. Pp 113-145.
Dr. Baird and her husband Chaz are proud parents of two. She continues to be a lifelong athlete and especially enjoys soccer, golf, and running. You can find her boating and on the water when not in scrubs. The Bairds make their home in Pensacola, FL.
Kaleb Naseman, PA-C